With over 12 years of trial consulting experience, Dr. Leibold has applied her expertise in juror decision-making to hundreds of cases across all genres of litigation. Clients rely on her skills in preparing challenging witnesses for deposition and trial, and on her extensive experience in jury selection for both civil and criminal cases. She specializes in developing statistically based, juror risk profiles to identify jurors for cause and peremptory strikes, and also applies the qualitative analyses to develop case stories and themes.
Jill frequently presents at national legal conferences and writes for legal trade publications about juror attitudes, implicit bias and jury selection in the areas of environmental and toxic torts, personal injury, asbestos, insurance bad faith, patent and trademark, product liability, fraud and criminal cases.
She is based in Los Angeles and applies her understanding of California juries in pro bono work for the state and local communities. For example, she worked with a team of local and national counsel to develop a standard juror questionnaire for asbestos cases for the Southern California courts.
Litigation Insights is a national, woman-owned company with more than 20 years of experience conducting jury research, developing trial graphics and assisting counsel with jury selection and case presentation during trial proceedings. As a full-service firm, the company provides everything from witness preparation and jury selection to trial graphics and courtroom technology.
- Ph.D., Social Psychology, Michigan State University
- M.S., Social Psychology, The Pennsylvania State University
- B.A., summa cum laude, Psychology, University of Minnesota – Minneapolis
- Leibold, J.M., & Marinakis, C.M., (2018). My Case Isn’t Going to Trial, So Why Do I Need A Trial Consultant? Insights
- Leibold, J.M. (2018). How to Persuade Jurors in Trial Using Their Own Voir Dire Feedback. Insights
- Leibold, J.M. (2018). 4 Challenges of Jury Selection in Small Town Venues. Insights
- Cook, K. & Leibold, J.M.. (2018). Commitment Effects, Part 2: Does Allowing Juror Discussion Prior to Deliberation Affect Their Decision Making? Insights
- Marinakis, C.M., Leibold, J.M., & Pitera, M.J. (2018). What Do Jury Consulting Services Cost When on a Budget? Insights
- Leibold, J.M., Solomon, J., Goldberg, N., & Solheim, M. (2017). Strategies for Mitigating Damages. Presented to the Fall Meeting of USLAW, Carlsbad, CA
- Leibold, J.M., Grawe, D., & Umberger, R.L. (2017). The Impact of Millennial Jurors on Trucking Litigation. Presented to the Meeting of the American Trucking Association, Beaver Creek, CO
- Leibold, J.M. (2017). Commitment Effects: Does Asking Verdict Questions Early Commit Mock Jurors to a Position? Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2017). What’s on Employees’ Minds? Employee Rights, Pay, & Government Regulation. Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2017). Should My Client Say, “I’m Sorry?” Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2017). A Millennial Could Be Your Next Jury Foreperson. Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2016). Closing the Case: Dealing with Plaintiffs, Multiple Defendants and Competing Exposures. Panel presented to the Defense Asbestos Litigation Symposium, Las Vegas, NV.
- Leibold, J.M., Tedder-King, A. & Bloomberg, A. (2016). How Jurors’ Attitudes about Gender and Age Discrimination in the Workplace Affect Your Case. US Law, Fall/Winter 2016.
- Leibold, J.M. (2016). Litigating the Bad Faith Claim. Panel presented to the USLAW Spring 2016 Client Conference, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.
- Leibold, J.M. (2016). Are Jurors Biased Against Foreign-Made Products? Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2015). Understanding Jurors’ Healthcare Attitudes When Preparing for Trial. Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. & Bloomberg, A. (2015). Combating Negative Juror Attitudes toward Insurers with Effective Visuals. US Law, Fall/Winter 2015.
- Leibold, J.M. (2015). Who is the Ideal Juror to Look for During Voir Dire? Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2014). Confidentiality: A Look at the Best Way to Screen Jurors for a Mock Trial. Insights.
- Leibold, J.M. (2014). Using Jury Research to Reduce Uncertainty in Litigation. Seminar for Liberty Mutual Insurance, Dover, NH.
- Leibold, J.M. (2014). Strategies for Generational Communication in Jury Selection. Seminar for the University of Farmers Insurance, Westlake Village, CA.
- Leibold, J.M. (2014). Who Are These People? The Keys to Jury De-selection. Seminar for Defense Research Institute meeting, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Leibold, J.M., Pitera, M.J., Price, J.M. & Dukart, J.Y. (2013). Attitudes toward Japanese Corporations. For the Defense: Defense Research Institute.
- Leibold, J.M., Babbitt, E.K. & Huber, L.A. (2013). Take This to the Bank: Jurors’ Evaluations of Financial Industry Defendants during a Recession. For the Defense: Defense Research Institute.